Citizen's Advice Havering - Monthly Advice Column - April 2022

By Citizens Advice Havering on 10/05/2022



I am a single parent, with two young children. I am already struggling to stay on top of my household bills; my weekly food shop isn’t stretching as far anymore and now my energy bill is going up too. I don’t know how I’m going to afford all of these price rises. What can I do to stop my finances spiralling out of control?





First of all, you are not alone in this and there’s support to help you. 


It’s always worth checking if there are benefits you don’t know about that you’re eligible for, including support with your energy costs and living costs. On the Citizens Advice website search there’s a benefits calculator and information on other ways to increase your income.  Go to search “reducing your regular living costs" and “check if you can increase your income".


There’s also emergency support that you may have access to, such as food bank vouchers or fuel vouchers. You could contact your local council to see if they could also offer support. 


If you’re struggling to stay on top of bills, it’s really important to understand what money you have coming in and going out each month. Citizens Advice has a budgeting tool on its website that can help with this at search “budgeting”. 


And if you’re already behind on bills, prioritise paying your rent or mortgage, plus energy bills and Council Tax first. Not paying these bills has the most serious consequences. You should speak to the person or company you owe money to, to see if they can help you repay your bills sustainably.If you have a prepayment meter and are finding it difficult to keep it topped up then please contact Citizens Advice Havering by calling 0300 3302179 or email via who can then provide details of any support available to you.


We know that times are incredibly tough but please remember, you don’t have to face this alone, do contact Citizens Advice Havering to help you find a way forward.



To Top